How to Get Rid of Mold Smell
Updated: an hour ago
The musty odor of mold is enough to make any homeowner wrinkle their nose. The unpleasant aroma of mold can be stubborn to get rid of and masking that musty smell with toxic air fresheners will only make the smell go away temporarily. So how do you get rid of that mold smell?
The first step is to find and eliminate the mold colony responsible for causing the odor. Follow your nose (with proper protective equipment)!
Mold can’t always be found easily. Before you can actually smell it, chances are it has been growing and thriving for a while.
Although there are many different types of mold, mold smells can generally be described as musty, sour and bitter with a fermenting like aroma.
Learn about how to identify different common types of mold in your home here https://bit.ly/2ZsmLCq.
After you have found the mold colony, you need to remove the mold. The best substances for mold removal are:
Hydrogen peroxide in a 3-10% solution will kill mold and is less harsh than bleach although it may take longer to kill mold.
White vinegar is acidic which is how it kills mold. Vinegar is non-toxic but additional scrubbing may be needed to remove the mold completely.
Both baking soda and borax have a pH that inhibits the growth of mold.
Bleach destroys mold immediately but is a harsh cleaner. Dilute it and use protective equipment while cleaning with bleach.
IMPORTANT: After you have eliminated the mold colony, apply a protectant to keep the mold smell from returning.
Everest Microbial Defense’s™ EV360™ Antimicrobial Protectant Spray protects against fungus, mold and mildew. Each application will keep mold from returning for up to 90 days!
Find EV360™ here https://bit.ly/2XPHm2Z.
Finish by ventilating the area to clear out remaining odors and diffuse essential oils. Open any windows that you can for natural ventilation.
If that is not an option, you can also use an air purifier. Many essential oils have anti-fungal properties. Use a diffuser with essential oils in the area until the mold smell is gone.