top of page
  • Writer's pictureEverest Microbial Defense

How to Get Rid of Mold in Your Basement

Updated: Sep 29, 2021

Basement mold is a common problem for many homeowners because mold likes to grow dark, damp areas with no airflow. Mold can cause issues to the structure of your home and can also cause significant health issues. It is important to solve any mold issues you have right away. 

Get rid of anything moldy:

Mold can spread fast and return fast. Start by getting rid of anything you can that has mold on it.

If there is any object that is infected by mold, remove it immediately to prevent the mold from spreading to other areas.

Make sure you use proper protective equipment, mold can be toxic! 

Identify and repair the source of moisture:

Check for any leaks from your pipes or flooring. Then make sure rain water is not accumulating next to your foundation.

Rain water should be flowing away from your home.

Once you identify where the moisture is coming from, call a professional to remedy the leak.

Clean the infected area: Hydrogen peroxide, bleach, white vinegar, baking soda and borax are all known to kill mold.

Hydrogen peroxide in a 3-10% solution will kill mold and is less harsh than bleach although it may take longer to kill mold.

White vinegar is acidic which is how it kills mold. Vinegar is non-toxic but additional scrubbing may be needed to remove the mold completely.

Both baking soda and borax have a pH that inhibits the growth of mold.

Bleach destroys mold immediately but is a harsh cleaner. Dilute it and use protective equipment while cleaning with bleach. 

Pick your favorite method of cleaning and thoroughly clean the infected area.

Apply a protectant:

After you clean the moldy area, apply a protectant to prevent further mold growth.

Everest Microbial Defense’s EV360™ Antimicrobial Protectant Spray protects against fungus, mold and mildew. Each application will keep mold from returning for up to 90 days!

Add ventilation:

Proper ventilation will help stop the growth of mold.

You can use a fan or open your windows to air out the moldy area.

Continuing to maintain a healthy amount of airflow in your basement will help to prevent further mold invasions. 

Manage humidity:

As a general rule, your basement should maintain a humidity level of 30 to 50 percent. This range reduces the risk of harmful microbial growth.

To measure the humidity level in your basement, get a hygrometer. If the humidity level in your basement is consistently above the recommended level, you may need to use a dehumidifier.

93 views0 comments


I commenti sono stati disattivati.

Subscribe to our newsletter to never miss a blog and get 30% OFF your first purchase in the Everest Store!

Your Coupon Code is NEWTHIRTY

Click here to shop and save now.


bottom of page