top of page
Search
  • Writer's pictureEverest Microbial Defense

Stopping Smelly Sponge Syndrome

What is Smelly Sponge Syndrome and How Do You Combat It?


Do you suffer from Smelly Sponge Syndrome? You know, that feeling of pure disgust when you reach for the kitchen sponge and instead of a clean and fresh smell, you get hit with a pungent odor that makes you want to run for the hills? Don't worry, you're not alone. In fact, Smelly Sponge Syndrome is a real thing (or at least it should be anyway!!!) and it's time to put an end to it once and for all.


Kitchen sponges are a staple in every household. They are supposed to help us clean dishes, wipe countertops and keep our kitchen surfaces clean. However, what if I told you that the sponge you've been using to clean your kitchen is the equivalent of an all-you-can-eat buffet for bacteria? Yes, you heard me right. The sponge you've been using to clean your dishes might actually be dirtier than the toilet in your bathroom. In this article, we'll explore why kitchen sponges can not only be very gross, but can actually be very dangerous. We will explore some of the things you can do to improve your "sponge experience"!


Just the Facts:


According to the National Science Foundation (NSF), kitchen sponges are one of the dirtiest items in our homes, harboring millions of bacteria. In fact, the NSF found that a kitchen sponge is a better incubator for diverse bacterial communities than a laboratory petri dish. It harbors more bacteria than most other items in the home, including the kitchen sink, countertops, and even the toilet. This is due to the moist, porous nature of sponges, which provides an ideal environment for bacteria to thrive.


The bacteria found in kitchen sponges can be dangerous to our health, causing illnesses ranging from mild stomach upset to serious infections. For example, The American Society for Microbiology found that E. coli and salmonella, two types of bacteria commonly found in kitchen sponges, can survive for up to four weeks on a sponge. This means that every time we use a dirty sponge to clean our dishes or countertops, we're potentially exposing ourselves and our families to harmful bacteria.


And, oh by the way, these little bacteria are the primary reason that your kitchen sponge stinks. So you are getting hit with a double whammy....odor and exposure to potentially harmful bacteria.


How to Combat Smelly Sponge Syndrome


So, what can we do to protect ourselves from the dangers (and grossness) of contaminated kitchen sponges? One solution is to replace sponges frequently, ideally every few days, to prevent the buildup of bacteria. However, this can be costly and wasteful, as we go through sponges quickly.


Other things that people try is to put their smelly sponges in the dishwasher or even zap them in the microwave. Does this always work? Well, it might help temporarily, however, it is possible that you are just cooking or trapping food particles in your sponge and they will begin to smell and continue to become infected with microbes soon after you begin using them again since the particles are the food source for the bacteria.


Another solution is to use a sponge that is specifically designed to prevent the buildup of bacteria. Toxic chemicals such as silver, bleach, triclosan, etc...that can leach from the sponge have been used in the past to treat sponges with varying degrees of effectiveness. The problem with many of these types of leaching solutions is that the chemicals can be absorbed into our bodies and/or food supply.


There is a revolutionary new product that uses a permanent treatment technology to prevent the growth of odor-causing bacteria. Unlike other sponges claiming to be antimicrobial and "low odor", the NoStench® Kitchen Sponge by Everest Microbial Defense® is non-toxic and non-leaching, meaning it's safe for use in the kitchen.


The NoStench® Kitchen Sponge is also cost-effective, as it lasts for up to 90 days without developing any odors. In fact, the 4-Pack available on the Everest Microbial Defense® website and on Amazon.com lasts for a full year, providing a cost savings over traditional sponges.



In addition to its long-lasting odor protection, the NoStench® Kitchen Sponge is also highly effective at cleaning. Its unique design allows it to hold plenty of soap and water, making it easy and efficient for cleaning dishes and surfaces.



Getting Specific:


Now that we know the benefits of using the NoStench® Kitchen Sponge, let's talk about how it works. The NoStench® Kitchen Sponge uses a revolutionary new treatment technology that cannot be washed out of the sponge and remains as a permanent treatment, ensuring long-lasting protection against odor-causing bacteria.


The NoStench® technology is based on a proprietary formula that creates a hostile environment for bacteria, inhibiting their growth and preventing them from accumulating on the sponge. This formula uses natural, non-toxic materials that are safe for use in the kitchen, making the NoStench® Kitchen Sponge the perfect choice for households with children and pets.


To use the NoStench® Kitchen Sponge, simply wet it with warm water and add your preferred dishwashing soap. Then, start cleaning your dishes or surfaces as usual. Rinse the sponge thoroughly after use and let it air dry. The NoStench® Kitchen Sponge is also safe to put in the dishwasher for a deeper clean without impacting its antimicrobial properties.


Conclusion


Kitchen sponges can easily become contaminated with bacteria that causes them to emit unpleasant odors. These factors can compromise the cleanliness of our kitchens. However, the NoStench® Kitchen Sponge by Everest Microbial Defense® possesses effective protection against odor causing bacterial contamination. By using the NoStench® Kitchen Sponge, your sponge can stay clean and free from unpleasant smells, ultimately creating a more pleasant and hygienic environment in your kitchen. Additionally, due to its long-lasting durability, the NoStench® Kitchen Sponge is a cost-effective solution for efficient cleaning, making it a great alternative to traditional sponges. Making the switch to the NoStench® Kitchen Sponge is a simple and effective way to maintain a clean and fresh kitchen.


The NoStench® Kitchen Sponge by Everest Microbial Defense® is a game-changer when it comes to kitchen sponges. Its revolutionary NoStench technology provides long-lasting protection against odor-causing bacteria, making it a safer and more hygienic option than traditional sponges. So, if you want a cleaner, healthier kitchen, make the switch to the NoStench® Kitchen Sponge today!

98 views0 comments

Comments


Commenting has been turned off.

Subscribe to our newsletter to never miss a blog and get 30% OFF your first purchase in the Everest Store!

Your Coupon Code is NEWTHIRTY

Click here to shop and save now.

RECENT POSTS FROM EVEREST

bottom of page